Updates in Friendly Bullet Form:
- FSA Forms for Grade 7's due Tuesday!!
- School fee of $25 (to the office) can be paid any time. If you can't, don't stress about it.
- Basic school supplies need to be renewed regularly. The 144 pencils and 2000 sheets of lined paper I brought are now gone. Perhaps eaten. Pencils, paper, coloured pencils, binder, and gym strip need to be there.
- The student desks in our room have wire baskets instead of drawers. Pencil boxes really help keep stuff off the floor.
- I love technology, but if your kid can't make good decisions yet about appropriate use, then keep devices at home. The class is actually doing great in this regard (perhaps the best in the school) but reminders are always good.
- Gr 6 Immunization forms are due now, and shots are next week. If you're on the fence about this, please know that there are immunocompromised people in our school. Our herd immunity through immunizations helps keep them alive.
- The food program is great. Nutritious breakfast food is there every morning. This is not just for 'some kids'. It's for all kids. They're growing and changing, and they often don't feel like eating what you serve before work and school. Their clocks are off, and it's going to get worse. The Lions and the Saunders Foundation happily pays for it, and any other donations can go through the office. Kids who are hungry, tired, or scared can't learn, so let's fix this one small thing forever. This is not about charity. It's just about kids and learning.
- Spelling groups are set...ish. Kids will move around, and one group will split off to provide more challenge. Lee Sigmund is running this with the help of Dan, our amazing EA.
- Math groups are coming soon. We've been concentrating on problem solving and communicating in groups, using as many open-ended challenges as we can.
- The school is having some staffing changes, and it's been tough trying to get the right resources to the right kids. There's light at the end of the tunnel, but things like Literacy Groups, Robotics Club, and class trips need to wait until core logistics settle out a bit. I really appreciate your patience.
All for now! Thanks!